[Mesa-dev] Discussion: C++11 std::future in Mesa

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Wed Jun 1 14:06:24 UTC 2016

On 06/01/2016 07:02 AM, ⚛ wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 2:19 PM, Marek Olšák <maraeo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'll let you figure it out by yourself.
>
> Why would you withhold information if you already have it? Are you a
> "bad person" or something?
>
> As far as my memory goes, I have never posted the sentence "I'll let
> you figure it out by yourself" to the Internet because I believe it is
> wrong.

I think the issue here is someone comes along with no history in the
project and asserts that he has a great solution for a problem while
developers with many years of experience know it's not that simple.  It
takes time to explain all this and most of us are very busy with other
tasks.

Furthermore, people sometimes interpret no response to their ideas as
implicit endorsement when that's not the case at all.  Better for the
experienced people to give a quick no/nak than to say nothing and let
someone assume that his idea is supported.  I suspect that what Marek
was doing.

Finally, I think some of us have a hard time taking people seriously
when they don't identify themselves with their real name.

-Brian