[Mesa-dev] tilers and out-of-order rendering..

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 12:53:20 UTC 2016

Ok, so I had a really evil thought that I wanted to bounce off
people..  it's a quite different approach from the more obvious one
discussed below (and which I've already started implementing)

Basically, idea is to have a wrapper pipe driver, similar to
ddebug/rbug/trace/etc, which re-orders draw calls.  All the CSO
objects would have to be wrapped in a refcounted thing, so
pending-draw's could hang on to their associated state.  For things
that are not refcounted (draw_info, and all the non-CSO state) there
would unfortunately be some memcpy involved.. not sure how bad that
would be, but it seems like the thing that could doom the idea?

The nice thing is it becomes basically free to turn on/off for
different drivers, at least at screen create time.. basically it gets
100% re-use, rather than having to re-implement the concepts in each
(tiler) driver.

Not sure if we need a way to turn it on/off at context create time,
but either way it would be nice if it were somehow a driconf option so
that it could be enabled/disabled per app, as to not penalize properly
written apps.

Thoughts?

----

Semi-related issue, which applies to either of the draw-reordering
approaches.  A frequent pattern is:

   ... bunch of draws ...
   glTexSubImage2D()
   glGenerateMipmap()
   ... bunch more draws ...
   ... repeat sequence a bunch of times with same texture ...

That glTexSubImage() comes to driver as transfer_map(DISCARD_RANGE).
At this point the backing bo is likely to be busy (since above
sequence repeats a bunch of times with the same texture).  So the best
we can do is discard whole bo and schedule blit(s) for the remaining
levels into the new bo.

But then at the glGenerateMipmap() step, we overwrite the contents of
all the other layers.  Which means if driver (or re-ordering wrapper
layer) had some extra hints, the blits triggered by the transfer_map()
could be skipped.

What I'm thinking would be a simple solution is to have an extra field
in pipe_draw_info so that internal blits (like mipmap generation)
could hint to the driver that the entire previous contents of the
render target are discarded.  (Or possibly we want it more
fine-grained, to indicate which render-targets and z/s are discarded,
if not all?  But thit doesn't seem useful.)  This could help tell
tilers that they could discard previous blits (and even skip
system-memory -> tile transfer).

(Hell, there might even be some use to apps to expose the "this draw
discards previous contents" type extension..  given some of the wonky
vendor extensions I've seen, I wouldn't be surprised if it already
existed.)

Thoughts?

BR,
-R