[Mesa-dev] Patchwork review process (efficiency) questions

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 17:14:39 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Alejandro PiƱeiro <apinheiro at igalia.com> wrote:
> On 03/06/16 18:45, Patrick Baggett wrote:
>>> I will point out a couple notes/observations:
>>>
>>> Kernel (drm/dri-devel), xorg, and other related projects use the same
>>> process, and a lot of us do (or at least at some point have) been
>>> active in 2 or more of these.
>>>
>>> Also, I have seen/used some other processes (gerrit, github pulls,
>>> etc).. and IMO on those projects the review process ended up being a
>>> lot more rubber-stamping and less thorough review of the changes.
>>> There is some value in not making things too "push-button"..
>> What are people's opinions on patchwork? I'm a regular reader but not
>> contributor. I find the interface appealing and overall not too
>> difficult to see recently submitted patches. Is it slower
>> (workflow-wise)/less convenient to use than email? Or are there
>> certain use-cases that just don't work?
>
> For my personal case:
>
> For the day-to-day, it is better to just follow the mailing list.
> Patchwork is nice in order to track not-too-old patches, or to find
> unreviewed patches for a specific person (even for yourself).
>
> In other words, I see patchwork as a nice additional tool, but not as a
> replacement of the mailing-list review flow.

agreed, I don't use it really for review.  And that is kind of the
point of patchwork, it supplements, rather than replaces, the normal
email based process.  I *do* use it if I'm going to push some
patch(es) for someone else, and I do use it periodically to have a
look at what patches are still pending..

BR,
-R