[Mesa-dev] Mesa (master): Revert "egl: Check if API is supported when using eglBindAPI."

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 09:19:12 UTC 2016

On 6 June 2016 at 10:10, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:
> On 04.06.2016 00:10, Marek Olšák wrote:

>>> So what route should we take?
>>>
>>> Wait for the distros to catch up and enable it then, again?
>>>
>>> I was fallen in this, too.
>>>
>>> openSUSE 13.2 / Leap 42.1
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/Xorg: symbol lookup error:
>>> /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so: undefined symbol:
>>> exaGetPixmapDriverPrivate
>>
>> The commit caused Glamor to fail with:
>> (WW) glamor0: Failed to get GLSL version
>>
>> We can't just kill Glamor support with a Mesa commit.
>
> Why do released versions of xserver/glamor have to work with unreleased
> versions of Mesa?
>

>> - keep the current eglBindAPI behavior forever
>
> So because we haven't been following the EGL spec, allowing broken EGL
> apps to work by accident, we have to preserve that bug forever? I'm not
> buying it.

Fully agree behind that one.

On the overall topic here is a (related) idea I've had lying around:
 - Contact distribution maintainers to patch their glamor packages as
far back as possible.
Having a mesa-maintainers ML or alike might help, they are likely to
miss this in mesa-dev, plus pinging individuals does not scale.
 - Decide on transition period, where we'll have a) the patch reverted
or b) a glamor hack in place.
 - Transition period is over - patch is back in/hack is out.

The communication medium can be used to get the maintainers attention
to other topics that directly concern them. They could also voice
their like/dislike towards X and Y.

How does the above sound ?
Emil