[Mesa-dev] Mesa (master): st/mesa: use buffer usage history to set dirty flags for revalidation

Roland Scheidegger sroland at vmware.com
Fri Jun 10 03:13:13 UTC 2016

Am 10.06.2016 um 04:58 schrieb Roland Scheidegger:
> Am 10.06.2016 um 03:11 schrieb Ilia Mirkin:

>>> Right, duh.

>>> I haven't looked in GREAT detail, but the test does pass on nv50,
>>> nvc0, and softpipe. It only fails on llvmpipe.
>>>
>>> Brian, this might be out of my comfort area to figure out... Given
>>> that it's working on the other drivers, that seems more likely to be a
>>> failing of llvmpipe somehow.
>>
>> Another observation is that the square sizes/shapes are all correct.
>> However the colors are all of the first square (red). So it seems like
>> some issue is happening for the fragment shader, but not vertex.
>>

> I've looked at this briefly and I'm not sure who's to blame.
> It goes something like this:
> - we don't get any set_constant_buffer calls anymore when the contents
> of the buffer change. I don't think that's ok, looks like a bug to me?
> Granted it's still the same buffer, just modfying a bound one.
>
> - when the contents are updated, it ends up in some transfer stuff as
> expected, in the end llvmpipe_transfer_map(). This checks if the
> resource is referenced in the current scene, if so it would flush -
> however this is only done for textures and rts (because UBO contents are
> indeed copied to the scene, not referenced, this is quite ok here, we
> don't want to flush).
>
> - on the next draw, we'd check the dirty bits - we never got
> set_constant_buffer (which would set LP_NEW_CONSTANTS and in turn
> LP_SETUP_NEW_CONSTANTS), and llvmpipe_transfer_map didn't do anything,
> so we don't pick up the changed contents, and continue to use the old
> copied ones.
>
> We could check if buffers are referenced in the scene and set the
> LP_NEW_CONSTANTS bit accordingly, but I'm not sure what the st is doing
> is really ok? (For vs, it doesn't matter that we miss the update - as
> the offsets etc. are all the same the vs will just pick up the changes
> automatically as we don't copy anything since this stuff all runs
> synchronously.)

Err actually this analysis is flawed.
llvmpipe would indeed check in llvmpipe_transfer_map() if a currently
bound constant buffer is changed and hence set LP_NEW_CONSTANTS accordingly.
But it doesn't because the buffer doesn't have the
PIPE_BIND_CONSTANT_BUFFER usage flag set (so, strictly speaking, it
would be illegal to bind it as such, but this is never enforced). In
fact it doesn't have _any_ bind flag set.
So I blame the GL api, but I don't know how to fix this mess cleanly (we
don't really want to ignore bind flags completely).

Roland