[Mesa-dev] [RFC 7/7] radeon: remove screen ref counting

Rob Herring robh at kernel.org
Tue Jun 21 13:53:28 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Christian König
<deathsimple at vodafone.de> wrote:
> Am 20.06.2016 um 17:39 schrieb Rob Herring:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 9:27 AM, Christian König
>> <deathsimple at vodafone.de> wrote:

>>> Well not necessarily. Reusing the screen between cards and render nodes
>>> only
>>> works if the driver can deal with that.
>>>
>>> E.g. for amdgpu we ran into the situation that you can create the screen
>>> initially only with a render node and then get a DRI2 authenticated fd
>>> later
>>> on.
>>>
>>> What we do in libdrm is to remember the DRI2 authenticated fd separately
>>> make use of it for flink import/exports. I fear that your cleanup would
>>> break that behavior.
>>
>> Okay, I'll leave the amdgpu hashing code in place. AFAICT, the
>> pipe-loader hashing should not impact it. It will only mean that
>> amdgpu_device_initialize is called once per node.
>

> And I fear that exactly this will break it.
>
> See to work correctly the libdrm implementation must be called with both
> file-descriptors. When it then return the same device for both you should
> use the same screen object in mesa. Without this the Rander node/DRI2 dance
> we do in the winsys will break.
>
> The only solution I can see is to have device specific callbacks to do the
> hashing for you.

I'm planning on doing something like this where it is opt in for each
driver. This should mean the dynamic symbols don't need to change
either for GL-vdpau interop.

struct pipe_screen *
pipe_screen_reference(int fd)
{
   struct pipe_screen *pscreen;

   if (!fd_tab) {
      fd_tab = util_hash_table_create(hash_fd, compare_fd);
      return NULL;
   }

   pscreen = util_hash_table_get(fd_tab, intptr_to_pointer(fd));
   if (pscreen)
      pipe_reference(NULL, &pscreen->reference);
   return pscreen;
}

void pipe_screen_reference_init(struct pipe_screen *pscreen, int fd)
{
      if (!pscreen)
         return;
      pipe_reference_init(&pscreen->reference, 1);
      util_hash_table_set(fd_tab, intptr_to_pointer(fd), pscreen);
}

Then the winsys create screen func will look like this minimally:

struct pipe_screen *
vc4_drm_screen_create(int fd)
{
        struct pipe_screen *pscreen = pipe_screen_reference(fd);
        if (pscreen)
            return pscreen;

        pscreen = vc4_screen_create(dup(fd));
        pipe_screen_reference_init(pscreen, fd);
        return pscreen;
}

Rob