[Mesa-dev] [GSoC2016] Interested in implementing "Soft" double precision floating point support

tournier.elie tournier.elie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 10:25:04 UTC 2016

Hi everyone.

My name is Elie TOURNIER, I am enrolled in a French Engineering school
(Telecom Physique Strasbourg) specialized in Medical ICT.
I'm interested in implementing "Soft" double precision floating point
support [1].
Taking this subject seem to be a good way to get my feet wet in the Mesa
code and discover how some of its components works.

I come to you in order to become know but also to retrieve valuable
information for the success of this project.

I would like to know more about the following things to understand your
requirements :
1- "*Each double precision value would be stored in a uvec2*" The IEEE
double precision floating point standard representation requires a 64 bit:
1 for sign, 11 for exponent and the others for fraction [2].
-> How double precision value must be stored?
2- Where can I find GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 documentation?

This is my first exposure to Mesa. Please excuse me if I am asking basic
questions.

Please point me to the right resources so that I can better understand the
project. I would also be happy to fix a bug to familiarize myself  with the
source code. Any suggestions on bugs that are relevant to the project will
be of great help.

Regards,
Elie

[1]
http://www.x.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas/#softdoubleprecisionfloatingpointsupport
[2] http://steve.hollasch.net/cgindex/coding/ieeefloat.html#storage

PS: If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.