[Mesa-dev] Stable release process

Kai Wasserbäch kai at dev.carbon-project.org
Fri Nov 18 18:45:05 UTC 2016

Hi everybody,
Nicolai Hähnle wrote on 18.11.2016 17:48:
> On 18.11.2016 16:56, Emil Velikov wrote:
>> On 18 November 2016 at 12:34, Marek Olšák <maraeo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Patchwork can't clear any of my patches on git push. That's normal. I
>>> do use Patchwork for reviewing patches though.
>>>
>> Seems to work fairly well here. Admittedly I have way less (and
>> smaller) patches...
>
> Patchwork is pretty dumb about how it compares patches. If you have non-standard
> git diff settings (e.g. more lines of context), it will never recognize a patch.

wouldn't a tool like Phabricator be much better for reviewing and reliably
tracking whether a patch has landed or not? Especially if you use it in
combination with Arcanist? While I'm certainly not a core developer, I find
patchwork clunky. Sometimes it doesn't pick up R-bs or doesn't recognise series,
which makes seeing the actual state of a patch a bit tricky from time to time.

In addition you would get things like automatically closure of bugs, nice
referencing features and lots of other nice features. And AFAIK freedesktop.org
already has a Phabricator instance, which could be used.

Just my outside opinion, though. ;-)

Cheers,
Kai