[Mesa-dev] Stable release process

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 19:09:22 UTC 2016

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 7:45 PM, Kai Wasserbäch
<kai at dev.carbon-project.org> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> Nicolai Hähnle wrote on 18.11.2016 17:48:

>>> Seems to work fairly well here. Admittedly I have way less (and
>>> smaller) patches...
>>
>> Patchwork is pretty dumb about how it compares patches. If you have non-standard
>> git diff settings (e.g. more lines of context), it will never recognize a patch.
>
> wouldn't a tool like Phabricator be much better for reviewing and reliably
> tracking whether a patch has landed or not? Especially if you use it in
> combination with Arcanist? While I'm certainly not a core developer, I find
> patchwork clunky. Sometimes it doesn't pick up R-bs or doesn't recognise series,
> which makes seeing the actual state of a patch a bit tricky from time to time.
>
> In addition you would get things like automatically closure of bugs, nice
> referencing features and lots of other nice features. And AFAIK freedesktop.org
> already has a Phabricator instance, which could be used.

OK, off topic we go.

I have some experience with Phabricator and Arcanist from LLVM and
it's not very good.

Phabricator (or Arcanist) doesn't support patch series. You can only
submit one patch, or a range of commits as one patch (which is pretty
bad - why would anyone on Earth want to do that). It also doesn't
support downloading patches in the mbox format (only plain diffs).
Based on that, I don't recommend it.

Marek