[Mesa-dev] TGSI 16-bit support

Timothy Arceri tarceri at itsqueeze.com
Fri Aug 25 22:46:05 UTC 2017

On 26/08/17 00:50, Nicolai Hähnle wrote:
> On 25.08.2017 13:58, Marek Olšák wrote:
>> Nicolai,
>>
>> Have you thought about switching to NIR for radeonsi completely to get
>> 16-bit support? We need NIR support anyway for spirv, right? Would be
>> it be easier than adding 16-bit support into TGSI, glsl2tgsi, and
>> tgsi2llvm?
>
> Well. What's missing from the NIR path is:
>
> (1) GS and tess (the ABI parts only)
> (2) re-adding some minor extensions (shader_group_vote?)
> (3) fixing all the bugs -- it's been a while since I've done a piglit
> comparison
>
> There's a bunch of unknowns, so it's hard to say, but once we're there
> 16-bit should be much easier, so may be worth it.

Hi Nicolai,

Do you have a branch somewhere with your latest work on this? Or is it
all in Mesa currently?

I tried to run master on shader-db to see if the NIR path gave us any
big changes either way. However I had to stop it as it hit 11GB of mem
and rising. Not sure yet if this was a memleak, or we got stuck in a
loop somewhere.