[Mesa-dev] Time to merge threaded GL dispatch? (aka glthread)

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Thu Feb 9 18:07:59 UTC 2017

On Thursday, February 9, 2017 5:23:47 PM PST Ian Romanick wrote:
[snip]
> Not achieving the desired performance is vastly different from
> segfaults.  Does the threaded mode in NVIDIA's driver crash?  I'd wager
> not.

Sadly, yes it does.  A while back, I tried running some Steam games
on Linux using my NVIDIA machine, with an out of the box configuration,
and they totally crashed.  Workaround was to disable GL threaded
optimizations.  Of course, I also had crashes which I had to update the
CPU microcode to workaround, and tearing right through the middle of
every single frame (needed more workarounds), and all kinds of
problems...so...not sure that's the standard of quality I want to
aspire to...

--Ken