[Mesa-dev] Time to merge threaded GL dispatch? (aka glthread)

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 19:18:46 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 6:23 PM, Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org> wrote:
> On 02/09/2017 03:03 PM, Marek Olšák wrote:

>>> No, it absolutely is not fine to merge.  We have never allowed such a
>>> thing, and I'll be damned if I'll allow this project to start.  Things
>>> that land that are known to be broken never actually get fixed.  Then we
>>> have to waste time fielding bug reports and Phoronix threads because
>>> users turn on the performance features and everything breaks.  It's just
>>> a terrible idea.
>>
>> It does pass piglit, but only when it's disabled.
>>
>> We have to ask the question of how long it will take to reach the
>> level of perfection that some people here demand. 1 year? 2? 4 years
>> even? Are we willing to wait that long? Is there a sufficient minimum
>> requirement on merging this project that's possible to reach within 2
>> weeks? Instead of saying "absolutely not" and "terrible idea", why not
>> just say "yes if X gets done"?
>
> Nobody has touched this code in years, yet you're speaking as if it has
> been in active development for the whole time.  Eric and Paul
> implemented, found that it didn't help any applications that existed at
> the time, and abandoned it.

There are some good arguments in this thread, but it's not this one. I
did touch the code. I made Borderlands 2 work by adding Gallium
support, DRI3 support, and fixing race conditions and other bugs in
the core glthread code and glapi XML files. Even though the commits
have Eric and Paul as authors, I edited most of them in some way.

So if I understand correctly, the requirement for merging is to pass
piglit. If we drop support for compat profiles (do we need to drop
support for GLES?), it shouldn't be too hard.

Marek