[Mesa-dev] Seeking advice on implementing KHR_no_error

Gregory Hainaut gregory.hainaut at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 14:34:50 UTC 2017

Hello

> Last time I looked at this extension I think there was at least one of
> the mainstream emulators using it. Can't recall which one ... pcsx2
> maybe.

I tried to use it on PCSX2. Unfortunately the X / GLX / (EGL?) / Mesa
implementation of context creation doesn't allow extra (AKA
not-yet-specified) flags in the attribute. Let's be honest, nobody
care if the error is reported or not in the app, even if the flag is
set. The final user wants best performance. I guess it is technically
feasible to intercept the error or to create 2 contexts but I'm too
lazy to do it (and I'm afraid perf gain will be rather low anyway).

As a side note, I would suggest to create an env variable to override
the context flag (a generic var might already exists). So you can
enable the extension on user demand without a modification of the
application (that might never happen).

Cheers
Gregory