[Mesa-dev] [AMD] Screen flickering with 4K and RX 480, would be glad to help debugging

Timothy Arceri t_arceri at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jan 23 05:06:31 UTC 2017

On Sat, 2016-12-31 at 14:55 -0500, Romain Failliot wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've recently bought a 4K display and an RX 480, but I've got some
> troubles with Dota when using high settings. I've created a thread on
> Phoronix forum (because maybe other people have the same problem...):
>
> https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/op
> en-source-amd-linux/921416-screen-flickering-with-an-rx-480-dota-2-
> 4k-full-settings
>
> The idea is not to have support (I know this mailing list isn't for
> that), but to try to find the source of the problem. Maybe it's a
> hardware problem (that's on my side), but maybe it's a driver
> problem.
>
> I'd be glad to give you any logs, outputs, info you ask.
> For instance, is there a log somewhere where we can see that the
> display actually tried to change it's resolution?
>
> Thanks!

I can confirm a similar problem. I have the same card and also got a 4K
monitor recently. For me I was running a game in windowed mode (F1 2015
I think) for a very short amount of time and had some flickering, after
I closed the game gnome continued flickering periodically until I
rebooted.

I'm also running Fedora 25 but was running stock Mesa (13.0) at the
time and stock llvm (3.8) and 4.8 Kernel.

I haven't bothered trying to reproduce at this stage.