[Mesa-dev] 10bit HEVC decoding for RadeonSI

Mark Thompson sw at jkqxz.net
Thu Jan 26 12:28:13 UTC 2017

On 25/01/17 14:41, Christian König wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> ok this is completely work in progress and untested except for a compile run.
>
> Most of the stuff necessary should be there for VDPAU, but I'm honestly not sure how to approach VAAPI.
>
> My main problem at the moment is that I can't get mpv/ffmpeg to decode Main10 content using VDPAU and when I try VAAPI it always ends up using NV12.
>
> Peter, Rainer any idea what I'm missing here? Do you guys use some modified ffmpeg for Kodi or how does that work for you?

mpv only very recently gained H.265 Main10 / VP9 profile 2 support in VAAPI.

Current git of both mpv and libavcodec works with both of those on Kaby Lake (also needs git mesa for proper rendering, since the DRM support patch only landed very recently).  Older libavcodec might work, though I'm not sure about releases.  Current git ffmpeg or avconv would also work, though in that case you would be downloading the surfaces and encoding them as something else.

All of these (except libavcodec, which ducks the problem by handing it off to the caller) currently assume that 10-bit surfaces for decode are P010 (like they assume that 8-bit surfaces for decode are NV12).  I have outstanding patches to clean this up by querying it all properly in libavcodec, so this issue should be removed soon.

(I haven't actually tried this patch series yet, I'll do so later today and may have more to say then.)

Thanks,

- Mark