[Mesa-dev] [RFC libdrm 0/2] Replace the build system with meson

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Thu Mar 16 23:11:48 UTC 2017

Quoting Marek Olšák (2017-03-16 15:36:26)
> Is there a way not to use ninja with meson, because ninja redirects
> all stderr output from gcc to stdout, which breaks many development
> environments that expect errors in stderr?
>
> I'm basically saying that if ninja can't keep gcc errors in stderr, I
> wouldn't like any project that I might be involved in to require ninja
> for building.
>
> Marek

There is no way to use another backend on Linux, and meson will not support
Make. Ninja is a big part of the appeal here, since it is faster than make is.
Are there particular tools you know don't work with ninja? It seems like in the
7+ years since ninja came out that someone would have fixed the tools, or that
some stream redirection could be used to fix the problem, "ninja 1>&2"?

Dylan