[Mesa-dev] [RFC libdrm 0/2] Replace the build system with meson

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 01:53:59 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 12:11 AM, Dylan Baker <dylan at pnwbakers.com> wrote:
> Quoting Marek Olšák (2017-03-16 15:36:26)
>> Is there a way not to use ninja with meson, because ninja redirects
>> all stderr output from gcc to stdout, which breaks many development
>> environments that expect errors in stderr?
>>
>> I'm basically saying that if ninja can't keep gcc errors in stderr, I
>> wouldn't like any project that I might be involved in to require ninja
>> for building.
>>
>> Marek
>
> There is no way to use another backend on Linux, and meson will not support
> Make. Ninja is a big part of the appeal here, since it is faster than make is.
> Are there particular tools you know don't work with ninja? It seems like in the
> 7+ years since ninja came out that someone would have fixed the tools, or that
> some stream redirection could be used to fix the problem, "ninja 1>&2"?

I actually read some thread about it and the conclusion seemed to be
that ninja developers don't care. I have no other option than to
believe that ninja was made for automated build bots, not for
development.

Some editors expect that errors and only errors go to stderr and all
other garbage info goes to stdout. This is something I can't change.

Marek