[Mesa-dev] [RFC libdrm 0/2] Replace the build system with meson

Jonathan Gray jsg at jsg.id.au
Fri Mar 17 06:02:35 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 09:12:38PM -0700, Dylan Baker wrote:
> quoting jason ekstrand (2017-03-16 19:03:15)
> > on march 16, 2017 5:41:24 pm emil velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > and meson is not a thing on neither bsd(s), solaris (and derivatives) nor
> > > android :-\
> >
> > i have trouble bringing myself to care.  the bsds need to stop using 10
> > year old compilers.  it can be made to work on solaris and bsd if someone
> > bothered to put a little work into it.  besides, given that large chunks of
> > gnome are switching they're going to have to make it work some day soon anyway.
>
> I decided to check the ports on my freebsd box, it has meson, in fact:
> freebsd: https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/devel/meson/
> netbsd: http://pkgsrc.se/wip/py-meson
> openbsd: http://ports.su/devel/meson
>
> The only OS I couldn't find a package for is openindiana (the clostest thing to
> Solaris I could come up with), but there is ninja for Solaris, and meson itself
> is pure python installable via pip, so even there it's not impossible.
>
> Dylan

OpenBSD has libdrm in the xenocara tree.  If libdrm were to switch
build systems I'd have to maintain a different build system for it.

There are effectively three source trees in OpenBSD.  src with kernel
posix utilities, toolchain etc.  xenocara with xorg, Mesa, fonts.
ports with everything else.  src is self contained, xenocara can
only take dependencies on src and other parts of xenocara.