[Mesa-dev] Please dont remove support for working hardware

hgkldjgfl at t-online.de hgkldjgfl at t-online.de
Mon May 22 11:36:53 UTC 2017

I have read on
https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Mesa-2017-Cleanup-Discussion
<https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Mesa-2017-Cleanup-Discussion>
that there is a discussion about removing still working hardware. Please
fix the problems instead.
Please, dont remove support for it. I have spend in the last year over 100
hours of testing such hardware and reporting anonymously(privacy is
important for me) bugs.
I still like to use such hardware when no new hardware is required for a
special use case. Also free software is always been talked about that it
does not drop support for working hardware. Many linux developers laugh at
the microsoft windows world when a new windows is been released and then
there are no drivers for it. Then the general sentense of many people deep
inside the linux community is "thats what happen when you use closed source
software, take linux to fix this".
Also its bad for nature to drop support of working hardware. Throw-away
living is terrible for the nature!
For example i have build for a development-usecase a modern amd-ryzen setup
to a full-hd screen(no more space on desk). I put a GPU into this setup
that include all required functionality: PCIe card with NV40 chip. The
developer working on this hardware is now forced to not use gnome or
kde-plasma because all bugs have been reported to for example imirkin and
now waiting since one year for a bugfix. imirkin have bought a nv40 card
for the PCI slot to fix those nv40 bugs. I am testing at least once a month
a recent linux live image to see if the reported problems are fixed in the
latest code.
I also use machines for dedicated usage with much older hardware for using
existing hardware that fullfills this usecase. For example a video-screen
on a wall that should run 24/7 on a small vga screen -> you can use
perfectly fine anything at radeon r200 series and defenetly everything at
nouveau nv30 series.

Please dont drop support for working hardware. Please fix the bugs instead
of breaking completely the supprot for the hardware. I would still like to
use the hardware and be able to say "linux is great, it does not force you
to throw away fully working hardware".

Gesendet mit Telekom Mail <https://t-online.de/email-kostenlos> - kostenlos
und sicher für alle!