[Mesa-dev] Please dont remove support for working hardware

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Mon May 22 14:47:36 UTC 2017

No one is suggesting we completely drop support for old hardware.  The
drivers will still exist and work; they will just live in a legacy branch.
We will also ensure that they are installable alongside the modern drivers
and the expectation is that distros will continue to package them.  The
thing that's being suggested is that we move them out of the master branch
where we tend to break them more than fix them.  They can continue to get
bugfixes on the legacy branch, they just won't get the random breakage from
changes made for other drivers.