[Mesa-dev] Meson's default build type

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Thu Nov 2 17:53:23 UTC 2017

Quoting Matt Turner (2017-11-02 10:06:43)
> On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 9:51 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:
> > FWIW, my vote is for debugoptimized: Assertions are enabled and there's
> > debugging information useful for bug reports, but performance should be
> > decent.
>
> If debugoptimized turns on DEBUG, then I don't think performance will
> be decent as that enables paths like nir_validate. Maybe we should
> change debugoptimized to not do that. Not sure.
>
> I think some of the messaging got confused -- autotools does specify
> -g in the default CFLAGS, but that doesn't really mean it's a useful
> debug build. -g -O2 is really a release build, with debugging symbols.

debugoptimized does turn on DEBUG. Last time I tried (which was a while ago),
if asserts are enabled but DEBUG is not mesa couldn't be compiled, as asserts
used members of structs that only exist when DEBUG is set. Maybe that's a
situation that deserves being revisited.