[Mesa-dev] Upstream support for FreeSync / Adaptive Sync

Nicolai Hähnle nhaehnle at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 10:15:58 UTC 2017

On 18.10.2017 10:10, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 09:01:52PM +0200, Nicolai Hähnle wrote:

>>> If your adaptive sync also supports extending the vblank beyond the
>>> nominal limit, then you can't do that with a per-flip flag. Because
>>> absent of a userspace requesting adaptive sync you must flip at the
>>> nominal vrefresh rate. So if your userspace is a tad bit late with the
>>> frame and would like to extend the frame to avoid missing a frame
>>> entirely it'll be too late by the time the vblank actually gets
>>> submitted. That's a bit a variation of what Ville brought up about
>>> what we're going to do when the timestamp was missed by the time all
>>> the depending fences signalled.
>>
>> These are very good points. It does sound like we'd need both an
>> "AdaptiveSync" boolean property and an (optional) "DesiredPresentTime"
>> property.
>>
>> The DesiredPresentTime property applies only to a single commit and could
>> perhaps be left out in a first version. The AdaptiveSync property is
>> persistent. When enabled, it means:
>>
>> - handle page flip requests as soon as possible
>> - while no page flip is requested, delay vblank as long as possible
>>
>> How does that sound?
>
> Yeah, that's what I had in mind. No idea it'll work out on real hw/full
> stack.

Here's another question that occurred to me while thinking about how all
this could be prototyped.

What happens when a FreeSync aware application / compositor enables the
FreeSync property and then shuts down (crashes) without disabling it again?

It seems to me that a non-FreeSync aware compositor would then be
operating in FreeSync mode without expecting it.

Can we fix that somehow? Do we care?

Cheers,
Nicolai
--
Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
Aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.