[Mesa-dev] Upstream support for FreeSync / Adaptive Sync

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Oct 18 16:59:45 UTC 2017

On 18/10/17 12:15 PM, Nicolai Hähnle wrote:
> On 18.10.2017 10:10, Daniel Vetter wrote:

>>> These are very good points. It does sound like we'd need both an
>>> "AdaptiveSync" boolean property and an (optional) "DesiredPresentTime"
>>> property.
>>>
>>> The DesiredPresentTime property applies only to a single commit and
>>> could
>>> perhaps be left out in a first version. The AdaptiveSync property is
>>> persistent. When enabled, it means:
>>>
>>> - handle page flip requests as soon as possible
>>> - while no page flip is requested, delay vblank as long as possible
>>>
>>> How does that sound?
>>
>> Yeah, that's what I had in mind. No idea it'll work out on real hw/full
>> stack.
>
> Here's another question that occurred to me while thinking about how all
> this could be prototyped.
>
> What happens when a FreeSync aware application / compositor enables the
> FreeSync property and then shuts down (crashes) without disabling it again?
>
> It seems to me that a non-FreeSync aware compositor would then be
> operating in FreeSync mode without expecting it.

AFAIU the atomic KMS API (Daniel et al please correct me if I'm wrong),
this might not be an issue: When a process which enabled the property
dies, I think any other process has to do a modeset to display anything
else on that CRTC. The modeset will set the property's value to what's
expected by that process.