[Mesa-dev] create src/wsi

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Mon Oct 23 15:03:34 UTC 2017

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 6:27 AM, Nicolai Hähnle <nhaehnle at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21.10.2017 03:00, Dylan Baker wrote:
>
>> This very short series creates a new src/wsi folder, and moves
>> wayland-drm into
>> it. Basically wsi stuff is scattered about, and is needed by multiple
>> components
>> within mesa, wayland-drm, for example, is used by EGL, GBM, and vulkan
>> wayland-wsi.
>>
>> I think there's more that could be moved into wsi, we could move EGL,
>> GBM, and
>> GLX, and vulkan/wsi, for example.
>>

> The general thrust sounds good to me.
>
> Is there a clean model for what should go into src/wsi and what shouldn't?
> Where's the boundary?
>
> For an example of the type of headaches, does DRI driver code (stuff that
> ends up in xxx_dri.so, for example) count as part of src/wsi? If so, then
> what about gallium/state_trackers/dri? What about mesa/drivers/dri/common?

Maybe?  I guess it depends on what it does and how much sense it makes to
share it higher than the gallium level.

> I don't have a full picture of all this code so it's hard for me to say,
> but I really hope your changes will lead to a clearer picture overall :)

Dylan and I talked about it quite a bit off-line so I have a few opinions.
:)  In particular, here's what I envison:

src/wsi/gbm
src/wsi/egl
src/wsi/wayland-drm
src/wsi/dri3 (currently src/loader)
src/wsi/glx
src/wsi/vulkan (currently src/vulkan/wsi)
src/wsi/hgl

So, basically, it's window system integration layers and the helpers we
want to share among them.  I wasn't envisioning it containing anything to
handle the DRI layer though I suppose it probably could.

--Jason