[Mesa-dev] [RFC] NIR serialization

Timothy Arceri tarceri at itsqueeze.com
Tue Sep 12 04:44:32 UTC 2017

On 12/09/17 14:23, Ian Romanick wrote:
> On 09/08/2017 01:59 AM, Kenneth Graunke wrote:

>>> Ian,
>>>
>>> Tim was suggesting that we might look at serializing nir for the i965
>>> shader cache. Based on this email, it sounds like serialized nir would
>>> not be enough for the shader cache as some GLSL type info would be
>>> lost. It sounds like GLSL IR => SPIR-V would be good enough. Is that
>>> right?
>>>
>>> I don't think we have a strict requirement for the GLSL IR => SPIR-V
>>> path for GL 4.6, right? So, this is more of a 'nice-to-have'?
>>>
>>> I'm not sure we'd want to make i965 shader cache depend on a
>>> nice-to-have feature. (Unless we're pretty sure it'll be available
>>> soon.)
>>>
>>> But, it would be nice to not have to fallback to compiling the GLSL
>>> for i965 shader cache, so it would be worth waiting a little bit to be
>>> able to rely on a SPIR-V serialization of the GLSL IR.
>>>
>>> What do you suggest?
>>>
>>> -Jordan
>>
>> We shouldn't use SPIR-V for the shader cache.
>>
>> The compilation process for GLSL is: GLSL -> GLSL IR -> NIR -> i965 IRs.
>> Storing the content at one of those points, and later loading it and
>> resuming the normal compilation process from that point...that's totally
>> reasonable.
>>
>> Having a fallback for "some things in the cache but not all the variants
>> we needed" suddenly take a different compilation pipeline, i.e. SPIR-V
>> -> NIR -> ... seems risky.  It's a different compilation path that we
>> don't normally use.  And one you'd only hit in limited circumstances.
>> There's a lot of potential for really obscure bugs.
>
> Since we're going to expose exactly that path for GL_ARB_spirv / OpenGL
> 4.6, we'd better make sure it works always.  Right?
>
> One nice thing about SPIR-V is that all of the handling of uniform
> layouts, initial uniform values, attribute locations, etc. is already
> serialized.  If I'm not mistaken, that was one of the big pain points
> for all of the existing on-disk storage methods.  All of that has been
> sorted out for SPIR-V, and we have to make it work anyway.

Correct these are the main issues for the fallback path, however this is
only used by i965 (exactly because an intermediate cache is missing).
Using SPIR-V as the intermediate cache means we still need to convert to
NIR and run all the opts, so I don't really see the advantage of caching
to SPIR-V over NIR.

Also there is going to be a requirement for a NIR cache for any of the
Gallium nir based drivers (which possibly includes radeonsi in future).