[Mesa-dev] [RFC] NIR serialization

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Tue Sep 12 05:15:19 UTC 2017

On Monday, September 11, 2017 9:27:28 PM PDT Ian Romanick wrote:
> And... we wouldn't necessarily have to throw away cached SPIR-V when the
> Mesa version changes... though we may want to anyway.

Sure, SPIR-V is a defined, stable format, and that's a nice property.
If we invented a serialized NIR format, we could choose to keep it
stable, or change it occasionally and have to invalidate (or ignore)
older cache entries.

But that's not really the point.  Any time there's a bug fix to the
compiler you'll likely want to dump the cache.  When you make significant
optimizations, you'll want to dump the cache - especially when you're
caching all the way to the final assembly.

SPIR-V could help accomplish this, but it's not the only way, and I also
think that avoiding cache invalidations is a non-goal, at least for now.

--Ken