[Mesa-dev] initial meson port

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Thu Sep 28 17:25:53 UTC 2017

Quoting Tapani Pälli (2017-09-27 23:34:26)

> On 09/27/2017 08:57 PM, Rob Herring wrote:

> >> Talking with ChromeOS folks at XDC, it sounded like having Android.mk be
> >> a small wrapper around another build system is a totally acceptable and
> >> not unusual thing to do.  Rob, does that seem possible/OK to you?  It
> >> seems like that should seriously reduce the android maintenance burden.
> >
> > I haven't come across any examples doing that, but it seems fine to me
> > if that can work. I'd guess we just need to create a prebuilt target
> > and somehow trigger it to run meson. It could be problematic if
> > anything in mesa is a dependency on another project as there's some
> > expectations about where things are built. But I don't think mesa is a
> > dependency for anything.
>
> One possible issue is that meson and its dependencies are not part of
> the supported toolchain for Android, would be surprised if this does not
> become a problem on some level. As example version of Meson on Ubuntu
> LTS (which is the tested and supported distro for android building) is
> 0.29.0 while on Fedora 0.42.0.

That will be a problem, I very much doubt that mesa will build with meson 0.29,
and there are features going it 0.43 that I would like to depend on. Meson only
has 2 hard requirements, python 3.4+ and ninja 1.6+, so it may be possible to
install an updated meson via pip, but I suspect android will run into similar
issues to windows, specifically that it needs a way to pass dependency
locations.

I've been looking at the possibility of generating blueprint from meson, which
could the be checked into a branch, but there are some interface mismatches
between meson and soong/blueprint and they could prove somewhat difficult to
solve (specifically around arch specific files).

Dylan