[Mesa-dev] New EGL extension in mesa and 'adriconf' packaging - EVoC'18

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 14:37:12 UTC 2018

On 14 August 2018 at 14:59, Jean Hertel <jean.hertel at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>As Veluri has noticed, I made a few comments earlier to his proposal/plans.
>>Having a comprehensive configuration tool is a great task, although
>>there is an underlying issue as pointed out [A].
>>
>>Or looking for a proper solution for [A]. Since that hack is for GLX
>>and we will need something alike it EGL. Ideally, a lot less hacky.
>>Sadly, resolving that is outside of my scope for the moment, but I am
>>happy to answer questions ;-)
>>
>>[A]  https://github.com/jlHertel/adriconf/commit/9c1c98633faff7b6b15be443da5cb9d8e90c50dd#diff->e9ffd8eaf9c59af94bc9cef7564301e5R14
>
> Hi Emil,
>
> I think the biggest question here is: are we able to use only EGL and completely drop the Xlib calls even on a X.Org only application?

What is an "a X.orr only application"?

And yes, you can have system with EGL only and not X (and friends),
and one with GLX only and no EGL.

> If yes, then I think the best approach would be to make a EGL extension based on the two functions, and simply ignore the existing ones, so that backwars-compatibility stays the same.
>
> Apart from xdriinfo, driconf and adriconf, I don't think any other application uses those two functions, but in any case I think is better to don't break things.

EGL extension (or wayland protocol) will address Wayland case. You
still need something for Xserver or Xwayland - the existing hacks or
something better.

IIRC Axel had his own project alike driconf - not sure if he used the
hacky API or not.

HTH
Emil