[Mesa-dev] last call for autotools

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Fri Dec 14 16:53:16 UTC 2018

Quoting Gert Wollny (2018-12-14 03:44:32)
> Am Montag, den 10.12.2018, 15:10 -0800 schrieb Dylan Baker:
> > Meson 0.49.0 has been out for a couple of days now, and I'd like to
> > make the final call for autotools. My patch is so massive that it's a
> > huge pain to send to the list, the latest versions is here:
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbaker/mesa/commits/delete-autotools
>
> Well,
>
> (1) there is stil this Heisenbug that pops up there and then, and that
> I send a patch for some time ago [1]:
>
> [1088/1140] Linking target src/gallium/tests/trivial/quad-tex.
> FAILED: src/gallium/tests/trivial/quad-tex
> g++  -o src/gallium/tests/trivial/quad-tex 'src/gallium/tests/trivial/s
> rc at gallium@tests at trivial@@quad-tex at exe/quad-tex.c.o' -Wl,--no-undefined
> -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,--start-group src/util/libmesa_util.a
> src/gallium/auxiliary/libgallium.a src/gallium/auxiliary/pipe-
> loader/libpipe_loader_dynamic.a src/loader/libloader.a
> src/util/libxmlconfig.a /usr/lib64/libz.so -lm -Wl,--end-group
> /usr/lib64/libdrm.so -L/usr/lib64/llvm/6/lib64 -lLLVMAMDGPUDisassembler
> -lLLVMAMDGPUCodeGen -lLLVMAMDGPUAsmParser -lLLVMAMDGPUDesc
> -lLLVMAMDGPUInfo -lLLVMAMDGPUAsmPrinter -lLLVMAMDGPUUtils -lLLVMMCJIT
> -lLLVMExecutionEngine -lLLVMRuntimeDyld -lLLVMX86Disassembler
> -lLLVMX86AsmParser -lLLVMX86CodeGen -lLLVMGlobalISel -lLLVMSelectionDAG
> -lLLVMAsmPrinter -lLLVMDebugInfoCodeView -lLLVMDebugInfoMSF
> -lLLVMCodeGen -lLLVMTarget -lLLVMX86Desc -lLLVMMCDisassembler
> -lLLVMX86Info -lLLVMX86AsmPrinter -lLLVMX86Utils -lLLVMipo
> -lLLVMInstrumentation -lLLVMVectorize -lLLVMScalarOpts -lLLVMLinker
> -lLLVMIRReader -lLLVMAsmParser -lLLVMInstCombine -lLLVMTransformUtils
> -lLLVMBitWriter -lLLVMAnalysis -lLLVMProfileData -lLLVMObject
> -lLLVMMCParser -lLLVMMC -lLLVMBitReader -lLLVMCore -lLLVMBinaryFormat
> -lLLVMSupport -lLLVMDemangle /usr/lib64/libunwind.so -ldl -lm
> /usr/lib64/libsensors.so /usr/lib64/libexpat.so -lm
> src/util/libmesa_util.a(u_cpu_detect.c.o): In function `call_once':
> /home/gerddie/src/Collabora/Qemu2/build/mesa-
> debug/../../samba/mesa/src/../include/c11/threads_posix.h:96: undefined
> reference to `pthread_once'
>
> The bug popped up just now when I rebased a tree that was building fine
> before. I think it was related to rebasing a rather old branch that
> still had some files in gallium/util that are now in util, so some
> library is probably not rebuild correctly, but "ninja clean" doesn't
> help to get things right. Setting  up a build from scratch usually
> doesn't show the problem though.
>
> (2) It would be nice if Meson would distribute some default cross build
> files, currently everybody has to roll its own, and I guess in the end
> they all look mostly the same.

Please ask your distro to write and distribute the cross files. It's simply
impossible for meson to distribute them for a huge number of reasons, but
basically it boils down to too many distros with too many differences. I have
done basically everything I can (personally) to make this easier, including
adding support for loading cross files from XDG paths (/usr/share/meson/cross,
etc)

> (3) I also noted that with across build one has to set the library
> install directory manually, because it defaults to the directory used
> for the build machine - i.e. a i386 cross build on debian amd64 should
> set the lib install directory on Debian to "lib/i386-linux-gnu" but it
> sets it to "lib/x86_64-linux-gnu"

There is this issue: https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/4008

This is another case that is really hard to handle because of the way different
distros have handled installing x86 and x86_64 binaries on the same OS. To name
a few:
debian : lib/$gnu-tri/
arch   : lib/ + lib32/
fedora : lib64/ + lib32/

I'm sure there are more, but getting that right all of the time is actually
pretty hard. I'll look into it.

Dylan