[Mesa-dev] last call for autotools

Andre Heider a.heider at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 17:24:56 UTC 2018

On 14/12/2018 17:53, Dylan Baker wrote:
> Quoting Gert Wollny (2018-12-14 03:44:32)
>> Am Montag, den 10.12.2018, 15:10 -0800 schrieb Dylan Baker:
>> (2) It would be nice if Meson would distribute some default cross build
>> files, currently everybody has to roll its own, and I guess in the end
>> they all look mostly the same.
>
> Please ask your distro to write and distribute the cross files. It's simply
> impossible for meson to distribute them for a huge number of reasons, but
> basically it boils down to too many distros with too many differences. I have
> done basically everything I can (personally) to make this easier, including
> adding support for loading cross files from XDG paths (/usr/share/meson/cross,
> etc)
>

>> (3) I also noted that with across build one has to set the library
>> install directory manually, because it defaults to the directory used
>> for the build machine - i.e. a i386 cross build on debian amd64 should
>> set the lib install directory on Debian to "lib/i386-linux-gnu" but it
>> sets it to "lib/x86_64-linux-gnu"
>
> There is this issue: https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/4008
>
> This is another case that is really hard to handle because of the way different
> distros have handled installing x86 and x86_64 binaries on the same OS. To name
> a few:
> debian : lib/$gnu-tri/
> arch   : lib/ + lib32/
> fedora : lib64/ + lib32/
>
> I'm sure there are more, but getting that right all of the time is actually
> pretty hard. I'll look into it.

It's not just the libdir, there's no real way for a project to provide
all the required cross settings so it works everywhere. Like the
pkg-config binary name for e.g. cross-compiling 32bit binaries. I didn't
find anything user friendly, so I worked around that on another project
[0]. And I'm sure there's more.

While all that is doable, it is annoying. Isn't there any way for meson
to provide a standard set of cross files for distros? If it's the
distro's responsibility to provide these without any guidelines it's
just going to be another mess, because either a distro doesn't at all or
they all do it differently.

[0] https://github.com/dhewg/nine/blob/master/bootstrap.sh

Thanks,
Andre