[Mesa-dev] last call for autotools

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Mon Dec 17 17:24:34 UTC 2018

Quoting Kai Wasserbäch (2018-12-17 07:48:38)
> Hey Dylan,
> Dylan Baker wrote on 11.12.18 00:10:
> > Meson 0.49.0 has been out for a couple of days now, and I'd like to make the
> > final call for autotools. My patch is so massive that it's a huge pain to send
> > to the list, the latest versions is here:
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbaker/mesa/commits/delete-autotools
>
> I've switched to building with meson now and everything seems to work for my
> environment, including the usage of a particular LLVM version.
>
> I've noticed, that Debian carries the changes from
> <https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/53503/> as local patches. It would
> probably be good, if those patches land before autotools support is nuked.
>
> Also: meson complains that deprecated features are used:
>  - DEPRECATION: Project targetting '>= 0.45' but tried to use feature deprecated
> since '0.48.0': python3 module
>  - DEPRECATION: build_always is deprecated. Combine build_by_default and
> build_always_stale instead.
>
> Can these be fixed before making meson mandatory? Or are they completely
> harmless and won't break builds?

These are both cases of overly aggressive error messages. build_aways was
deprecated in 0.47 which is newer than 0.45 (which is our current oldest
supported version of meson). There is an issue filed against meson about not
printing the deprecated message in these cases, it looks like there's just a
couple of issues to iron out:

https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/pull/4362