[Mesa-dev] Mesa 18.2.0 release plan

Mario Kleiner mario.kleiner.de at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 14:52:37 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 2:35 PM, Andres Gomez <agomez at igalia.com> wrote:
> Hi Mario,

Hi Andres,

> Given the current patches and the talk I had yesterday in IRC with
> Daniel and Eric it seems best case scenario is that we could only have
> the 3 first patches from:
> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/44671/

I'll take what i can get ;-), thanks!

> Landing before branching point. Not the 4/5 and 5/5 nor, it seems:

Given that 3/5 is ok, and 229397 is exactly the same mechanism, just
applied to the dri3 buffer sharing instead of eglCreateImage, maybe it
would be possible to still get that one in? It would finish at least
the native X11 side of "Optimus" on nouveau? And make nouveau depth 30
somewhat usable on server 1.20's modesetting ddx. In terms of
immediate usefulness for nouveau, that's the favorite patch. If there
aren't fundamental problems with that one, but style issues or such, i
could send some cleanup patch after the branch-point, if that helps?

> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/229397/
> I could delay for a bit the branching but it seems like these patches
> are going to need some more time so I think I will keep the schedule as
> it is.

Holding up the schedule is not worth it, i agree. But i'd need to know
what is missing with the current patch set, if they need more time? I
didn't get any new feedback to the last revision in 1.5 months, and i
know it works well on all relevant hardware combos as far as my
testing with weston and x11 goes, so if there's something i would need
to change, somebody has to tell me. Or is it just lack of independent
testing or time for someone to review atm.?

There's also this weston branch i used for testing: None of the new
deptth 30 patches there have been submitted to wayland ml yet, that
would be a tbd. once mesa is done:


> Let me know if I can do something else.

Actually, another unrelated thing that got stalled on my side the last
days, sorry. X-Server 1.20 + modesetting-ddx + dmabuf_modifier support
(enabled by default now iirc) causes pageflipping to fail on at least
Intel Ivybridge (gen 7 hw), whereas it works with the intel-ddx, and
on older (gen 5 ironlake) hardware.

There is a disagreement between Mesa's i965 intel dri driver and the
Linux i915 kms driver about which hardware gen supports
I915_FORMAT_MOD_Y_TILED, causing the kernel to reject the flip. Kernel
thinks gen >= 9, Mesa thinks gen >=6. I'll send out a patch now which
would fix Mesa on current kernels up to 4.18, but haven't looked if
Mesa is wrong or the kms driver is wrong. So this trivial patch would
be worthwile to include if this is indeed Mesa in the wrong.


> Br.
> PS: If you would like to talk directly to me, I hang out at freenode's
> IRC as "tanty". You can find me in the #dri-devel room, for example.
> On Thu, 2018-07-26 at 16:42 +0200, Mario Kleiner wrote:
>> Hello Andreas,
>> the improved color depth 30 rendering support for nouveau is imho
>> ready for merging since about a month:
>> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/project/mesa/patches/?submitter=14956&state=&q=&archive=&delegate=
>> The patch series submitted at 2018-06-13, and the single patch
>> "loader_dri3: Handle mismatched depth 30 formats for Prime
>> renderoffload." from 2018-06-04.
>> All patches have been successfully tested by myself on various
>> permuations of intel/amd/nvidia hardware and prime combo's of
>> intel+nvidia, amd+nvidia and nvidia+amd under wayland-weston and x11.
>> All review comments have been addressed.
>> Patch [4/5] egl/wayland: Allow client->server format conversion for
>> PRIME offload. (v2)
>> and
>> Patch [5/5] egl/wayland-drm: Only announce formats via wl_drm which
>> the driver supports.
>> and
>> Patch loader_dri3: Handle mismatched depth 30 formats for Prime renderoffload.
>> still need r-b's, although 4/5 got some review from Eric Engestroem,
>> but no r-b tag so far.
>> The remaining patches should be straightforward to review, and the
>> loader_dri3 patch is essentially the same as the already reviewed
>> [3/5], just applied to x11+prime instead of x11+eglCreateImage().
>> Cc'ing some people who are somewhat familiar with the patches already.
>> It would be good to get these merged for 18.2 before some changes in
>> Mesa break them again, given that they involve a lot of time intense
>> manual and tedious testing on lots of combos whenever i need to touch
>> them again. Also, more work to do on the x-server, weston, side, but
>> that needs a new baseline in Mesa before it makes sense for me to pile
>> on more work.
>> Thanks,
>> -mario
>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 12:55 AM, Andres Gomez <agomez at igalia.com> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Here is the tentative release plan for 18.2.0.
>> >
>> > Although the initial plan was to have the first release candidate by
>> > the end of this week, a slip of mind in my side on sending this plan is
>> > shifting the current schedule at mesa3d.org. We'll update the release
>> > schedule there soon.
>> >
>> >  Aug 01 2018 - Feature freeze/Release candidate 1
>> >  Aug 08 2018 - Release candidate 2
>> >  Aug 15 2018 - Release candidate 3
>> >  Aug 22 2018 - Release candidate 4/final release
>> >
>> > This gives us approximately two weeks until the branch point.
>> >
>> > Note: In the spririt of keeping things clearer and more transparent, we
>> > will be keeping track of any features planned for the release in
>> > Bugzilla [1].
>> >
>> > Do add a separate "Depends on" for each work you have planned.
>> > Alternatively you can reply to this email and I'll add them for you.
>> >
>> > [1] https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=106156
>> >
>> > --
>> > Br,
>> >
>> > Andres
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > mesa-dev mailing list
>> > mesa-dev at lists.freedesktop.org
>> > https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/mesa-dev
> --
> Br,
> Andres

More information about the mesa-dev mailing list