[Mesa-dev] GitLab personal repos

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Sat Jun 2 16:07:51 UTC 2018

All,

This is for those of you who wish to have your personal mesa repo on
gitlab.  If you want to keep it on people.freedesktop.org and use cgit, you
are more than welcome to continue doing so for the foreseeable future and
you can ignore this e-mail.  For those who want to use gitlab, read on...

I strongly recommend that, if you have a personal mesa repo on GitLab, you
make it an official fork of the mesa master repo that we will be creating
soon.  There are a couple of reasons for this:

 1) Forks share objects behind the user's back so it should use
significantly less space on the GitLab server if everyone's personal mesa
repo is an actual GitLab fork and not a bare repo that they pushed.

 2) Forks have a nice link to the place they were forked from.  This means
that if you share your repo with someone who isn't super-familiar with mesa
and freedesktop, they can easily find the original.  Anyone who is used to
working with GitHub or GitLab should know how to follow parent links.

 3) If (and that is an if) we move to the pull-request model, you can only
submit a pull request to your parent repo so your private repo will have to
be a fork.

Obviously, many people have very live and active personal repos already, so
I've made some tools to help in the transition.  Here's what you need to do
to set up your personal GitLab repo:

 0. If you already have a personal repo on GitLab, go to the repo settings,
and rename it to something else like mesa-old.

 1. Got to the master mesa repo at https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa
(this link does not work yet but it will after the transition) and click
the "Fork" button

 2. Once the fork is complete, make a fresh clone of your personal repo on
your local machine

 3. In your fresh clone, run this script to clear everything except the
"master" branch from your fork: https://people.freedesktop.
org/~jekstrand/git-clear-branches.sh

 4. Add a read-only remote for your old personal mesa repo

 5. Run this script to copy all the branches from your old personal mesa
repo to your new GitLab repo: https://people.freedesktop.
org/~jekstrand/git-sync-branches.sh

 6. Delete the fresh clone you used for the transition and update your
remotes to point to the new GitLab repo

I hope all that is helpful and makes the transition smooth for all your
GitLab fans out there.

--Jason