[Mesa-dev] [ANNOUNCE] Mesa 18.1.2 release candidate

Juan A. Suarez Romero jasuarez at igalia.com
Mon Jun 18 07:22:02 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-06-15 at 12:47 -0400, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 12:36 PM, Dylan Baker <dylan at pnwbakers.com> wrote:
> > I don't even understand why we make these announcements TBH. I have a public
> > 18.1-proposed branch that I push to *every weekday*. Anyone can pull that branch
> > *anytime* to get the latest version. The only thing the announce email really
> > serves AFAICT, is to say "the staging/proposed branch has been merged to the
> > release branch". I don't think that's all that interesting TBH.
>
> "any time" means "no time". The announcement is "speak now or forever
> hold your peace". Gives driver teams a chance to review the list and
> test things out before they go out into a full release. Should they be
> doing this daily/continuously? Probably. But that's not the current
> state.

I agree on this. And I think the reason to wait 48h is to give time enough for
teams to do proper testing, specially when there are many timezones that people
get the pre-announcement several hours later.

But, I also think that the pre-announcement is too much verbose. It includes lot
of information that can be easily get from the git branch itself. The only thing
I would probably keep is about trivial conflicts, sending an explicit email to
the authors to say "I [slightly] changed your commit; please, take a look just
in case", and the rejected patch list, also mailing the authors.

	J.A.