[Mesa-dev] [ANNOUNCE] Mesa 18.1.2 release candidate

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Mon Jun 18 16:56:28 UTC 2018

Quoting Juan A. Suarez Romero (2018-06-18 00:22:02)
> On Fri, 2018-06-15 at 12:47 -0400, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 12:36 PM, Dylan Baker <dylan at pnwbakers.com> wrote:
> > > I don't even understand why we make these announcements TBH. I have a public
> > > 18.1-proposed branch that I push to *every weekday*. Anyone can pull that branch
> > > *anytime* to get the latest version. The only thing the announce email really
> > > serves AFAICT, is to say "the staging/proposed branch has been merged to the
> > > release branch". I don't think that's all that interesting TBH.
> >
> > "any time" means "no time". The announcement is "speak now or forever
> > hold your peace". Gives driver teams a chance to review the list and
> > test things out before they go out into a full release. Should they be
> > doing this daily/continuously? Probably. But that's not the current
> > state.
> >

> I agree on this. And I think the reason to wait 48h is to give time enough for
> teams to do proper testing, specially when there are many timezones that people
> get the pre-announcement several hours later.
>

> But, I also think that the pre-announcement is too much verbose. It includes lot
> of information that can be easily get from the git branch itself. The only thing
> I would probably keep is about trivial conflicts, sending an explicit email to
> the authors to say "I [slightly] changed your commit; please, take a look just
> in case", and the rejected patch list, also mailing the authors.

I follow up with authors about changes immediately. If it was rejected I reply
to the original patch letting them know I'm not planning to pull the commit and
why. If there's conflicts I ask the original author to look at the changes I've
made before pulling them into the staging branch. It feels much too late to be
asking someone to do that when the release is happening shortly.

Dylan