[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Mesa 17.3.x release problems and process improvements

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Mon Mar 12 17:36:26 UTC 2018

Quoting Emil Velikov (2018-03-12 08:38:31)
> On 12 March 2018 at 11:31, Juan A. Suarez Romero <jasuarez at igalia.com> wrote:

> >> I agree that early information is good.  I don't agree that anyone
> >> should force push.  Release branches need to be protected.  Proposed
> >> release branches should only accept patches that have already been
> >> vetted by the process on mesa master.
> >>
> Agreed - release branches should not be force-pushed. We can use
> "wip/" ones instead.

I also strongly agree with this, force pushes to live branches are *bad* (force
pushing a pull request of a features branch are perfectly fine). I would much
rather have reverts than force pushes. If we're going to automate this in such
way that we think we need force pushes I'd much rather use merges (only for
stable), so that we can simply revert the merge commit.

Or, as other have suggested, not allowing the proposed patches to be pushed
until CI has come back green would be even better. I've used this approach in
several github based projects and it works very well for keeping the branch in
question in good shape.

Dylan