[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Mesa 17.3.x release problems and process improvements

Mark Janes mark.a.janes at intel.com
Mon Mar 12 19:40:47 UTC 2018

Dylan Baker <dylan at pnwbakers.com> writes:

> Quoting Emil Velikov (2018-03-12 08:38:31)

>> Agreed - release branches should not be force-pushed. We can use
>> "wip/" ones instead.
>
> I also strongly agree with this, force pushes to live branches are
> *bad* (force pushing a pull request of a features branch are perfectly
> fine). I would much rather have reverts than force pushes. If we're
> going to automate this in such way that we think we need force pushes
> I'd much rather use merges (only for stable), so that we can simply
> revert the merge commit.
>
> Or, as other have suggested, not allowing the proposed patches to be
> pushed until CI has come back green would be even better. I've used
> this approach in several github based projects and it works very well
> for keeping the branch in question in good shape.

The patches need to be in a branch for any CI to test them.  A WIP
branch seems like a good thing for CI to poll.

If CI fails at this point, then it means the developer messed up.  No
one should add a fixes/cc tag to a commit unless they have some
confidence that it will work on top of the WIP branch (by *testing* it).

Handling a screw-up could be done by maintainers by force-pushing the
commits off the WIP branch, and adding some annotations that prevent the
broken commit from being re-applied to WIP by automation.