[Mesa-dev] Gitlab migration

Nicolai Hähnle nhaehnle at gmail.com
Wed May 23 20:58:14 UTC 2018

Hi Jason,

On 23.05.2018 21:34, Jason Ekstrand wrote:
> Mesa developers,
>
> tl;dr.  Please go to gitlab.freedesktop.org
> <http://gitlab.freedesktop.org>, create your account, and upload your
> SSH keys.  Instructions are the bottom of this e-mail.
>
> The freedesktop.org <http://freedesktop.org> admins are trying to move
> as many projects and services as possible over to gitlab and somehow I
> got hoodwinked into spear-heading it for mesa.  There are a number of
> reasons for this change.  Some of those reasons have to do with the
> maintenance cost of our sprawling and aging infrastructure.  Some of
> those reasons provide significant benefit to the project being migrated:

Thanks for doing this! I agree that this should be quite beneficial
overall, and getting the account set up was painless.

>   * Project-led user/rights management.  If we're on gitlab, project
> maintainers can give people access and we no longer have to wait for the
> freedesktop admins to add a new person.  And the freedesktop admins
> don't have to take the time.
>
>   * Better web UI for git.  Ok, so some people will argue with me on
> this one but it's at least how I feel. :-)
>
>   * [Optional] Integrated commit history and issue tracking.  Bugzilla
> tags are great but gitlab ties things together much better.

I'd be in favor of moving the issue tracking.

>   * [Optional] Merge-request workflow.  With the rise of github, there
> are many developers out there who are used to the merge-request workflow
> and switching to that may lower the barrier to entry for new contributors.

I admit that it's been a while since I checked, but the web-based merge
workflows of GitHub and GitLab were (and probably still are) atrocious,
so please don't.

The tl;dr is that they nudge people towards not cleaning up their commit
history and/or squashing everything on the final commit, and that's just
a fundamentally bad idea.

The one web-based review interface I know of which gets this right is
Gerrit, since it emphasizes commits over merges and has pretty good
support for commit series.

>   * [Optional] Built-in wiki support

Probably not, given what you write about the website below? A wiki is
nice, but it needs to be maintained, and having multiple places for docs
is not great.

>   * [Optional] Built-in CI.  With gitlab, we can provide a docker image
> and CI tasks to run in it which can do things such as build the website,
> run build-tests, etc.  I'm not sure if build-testing Android is feasible
> but we could at least build-test autotools, meson, scons, and maybe even
> run some LLVMpipe tests.

Neat.

Cheers,
Nicolai

> Before anyone freaks out about the possible changes that may be
> incoming, I would like to make it crystal clear that many of the above
> things are optional.  We can continue to use Bugzilla for issue tracking
> and the mailing list for patch review.  Both cgit and annongit will
> continue to work for the foreseeable future.  The new fancy features
> such as merge requests will all be disabled initially and we can
> consider enabling and using those features on a case-by-case basis.  The
> only immediate change will be that pushes will have to happen to gitlab
> instead of git.fd.o.  No one is trying to change your workflow, they're
> just trying to move our git hosting to a different platform.
>
> One of the motivations for doing this now is that there has been some
> desire to move the mesa website away from raw HTML and over to a
> platform such as sphinx.  If we're going to do that, we need a system
> for building the website whenever someone pushes to mesa.  The solution
> that the fd.o admins would like us to use for that is the docker-based
> gitlab CI.  Laura has been working on this the last couple of weeks and
> the results are pretty nice looking so far.  You can check out a preview
> here: https://mesa-test.freedesktop.org/intro.html  Using sphinx gives
> us all sorts of neat things like nice text formatting, syntax
> highlighting, and autogenerated searchable navigation. Right now, it's
> still using one of the standard sphinx themes so it looks a bit
> "default" but that's something we can change.
>
> Making this transition happen will, obviously, require a small amount of
> involvement from the mesa development community.  In particular, you'll
> all need to get your SSH keys set up through gitlab.  Here's what you
> need to do; it should take less than 5 minutes:
>
>   1. Go to gitlab.freedesktop.org <http://gitlab.freedesktop.org>
>   2. Click "Sign In / Register" in the upper left-hand corner
>   3. You already have an account.  Click "Forgot your password?", type
> in your fd.o-associated e-mail, and click "Reset Password".  Follow the
> directions in the e-mail.
>   4. Once you've successfully signed in, click on the little circle in
> the upper right-hand corner and select "Settings"
>   5. Click "SSH Keys" in the bar on the left and add your keys
>
> Assuming no one explodes too badly, we'll do the actual migration soon.
> Ideally, I'd like to not drag this out for more than a couple of weeks.
> When the actual migration happens, the only change mesa devs will have
> to make when this happens is to change the git remote they use for
> pushing to point to gitlab.
>
> Thanks for your cooperation (was that premature?),
>
> --Jason

Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
Aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.