[Mesa-dev] GitLab Migration: Users and Groups

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 30 20:40:51 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 12:15 PM, Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net> wrote:
> All,
>
> As part of the move to GitLab, we have a few decisions to make regarding
> users and groups.
>
> Question 1: Who should be masters?
>
> Gitlab divides users into three categories per-project: Guests, Developers,
> and Masters.  In general, developers and masters will have push access.
> Masters have the ability to add developers to the project.  Masters will
> also have the ability to unlock the branch, force-push, and then re-lock if
> needed.

Given that not everyone will be a master by default, it would be good
to also set out criteria for adding and removing masters. I'm not
proposing anything heavy -- perhaps by a majority vote of the existing
masters to either add or remove someone? And presumably also on
personal request for a master to remove themselves as a result of no
longer being involved in the project or whatever.)

Any such actions should probably be logged somewhere as well, e.g. a
bugzilla ticket, so that we don't end up in a scenario where we're
wondering who added whom when and why.

[Sorry for the annoying questions, but I think that figuring this
stuff out explicitly up-front is a lot better than at emergency time
when something bad happens.]

Cheers,

  -ilia