[Mesa-dev] Please bring back __GL_FSAA_MODE

Tom Butler tom at r.je
Tue Nov 27 08:03:38 UTC 2018

Hello,

I realise this was removed for a reason (
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2014-September/067864.html
) but there are cases where it is useful. In older games that do not
support native FSAA being able to force it in the driver is the only way
to enable it.

A quick google search for AMD linux force msaa shows that I'm not the
only one who would like to see this feature return:

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/open-source-amd-linux/1024166-radeon-eqaa-anti-aliasing-support-merged-to-mesa-18-2?p=1024185#post1024185

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/671yzm/forcing_antialiasing_with_mesa_radeon_driver/

https://github.com/dscharrer/void/blob/master/hacks/forcemsaa.c

I understand it does cause issues in some cases but there are times when
it is useful. Could it be reintroduced with a more relevant name that
implies it shouldn't be used? E.g. GALLIUM_LEGACY_MSAA or
GALLIUM_FORCE_MSAA_EXPERIMENTAL. That way it would lower users
expectations while still making the option available to try.

Kind Regards,

Tom Butler