[Mesa-dev] Bug introduced with Mesa 18.0.0: Star Trek Voyager Elite Force shadow glitches

Federico Dossena info at fdossena.com
Mon Sep 17 16:55:13 UTC 2018

Hi,

I'm using Mesa (specifically Gallium on LLVMPipe) to run an old game
called Star Trek Voyager Elite Force.

I'd like to report a bug introduced with version 18.0.0 and still
present in Mesa master that completely breaks the shadows in this game.

I don't know how Mesa works internally so I'll just attach 2 videos:

  * Mesa 17.3.7: shadows work normally:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UOD4NqEuL12FrZfvukkP5r83dyjTd3E2
  * Mesa 18.0.0 and newer: shadows are broken:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=10cYYciVfLD3fCHpoOrp4cRTGj_GTuh2j

The game uses the id3 engine so I assume other games are also affected,
although I haven't tested it.

For what it's worth, the proprietary AMD drivers have the same bug.

If you need the game for testing, please let me know.
A demo is also available here:
https://www.fileplanet.com/46986/40000/fileinfo/Star-Trek:-Voyager---Elite-Force-Demo