[Mesa-dev] Lets talk about autotools

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Thu Sep 20 15:59:37 UTC 2018

Quoting Emil Velikov (2018-09-20 07:05:07)
> Hi Dylan,
>
> On 17 September 2018 at 17:44, Dylan Baker <dylan at pnwbakers.com> wrote:
> > I feel like for !windows meson is in good enough shape at this point that we
> > can start having the discussion about deleting the autotools build. So, is there
> > anything left that autotools can do that meson cannot (that we actually want to
> > implement)? And, what is a reasonable time-table to remove the autotools build?
> > I think we could reasonably remove it as soon as 18.3 if others felt confident
> > that it would work for them.
> >
> As pointed out by others - there are some parts where the meson build
> would need an extra bit of polish.
> That said, it's in pretty good shape indeed.
>
> At the same time, considering the time spent on autotools is more or
> less not nothing, I would suggest being more patient.
> There are Linux distributions and others that still use and/or depend on it.
>
> As we get to the point of a) keeping autotools is taking too much time
> and/or b) all autotools users have moved to meson sure we can nuke it.

In part this thread is about tracking down the last of the rough edges that
need to be be polished, and to remind some distros, OSes, and developers that
dropping autotools is on the road map, so they should make sure that they're
specific corner of the build is working :)

Dylan