[Mesa-dev] Lets talk about autotools

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Tue Sep 18 15:29:09 UTC 2018

Quoting Ilia Mirkin (2018-09-17 17:56:15)
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 12:44 PM, Dylan Baker <dylan at pnwbakers.com> wrote:
> > I feel like for !windows meson is in good enough shape at this point that we
> > can start having the discussion about deleting the autotools build. So, is there
> > anything left that autotools can do that meson cannot (that we actually want to
> > implement)? And, what is a reasonable time-table to remove the autotools build?
> > I think we could reasonably remove it as soon as 18.3 if others felt confident
> > that it would work for them.
>
> I remember there was a particularly egregious failure mode for meson
> where running "meson configure help" would fail if any of the
> dependencies were missing for whatever the default was. Has that been
> resolved? I'd also encourage writing a new "configure" script which
> echo's instructions on how to operate meson -- it's really not
> obvious, with alternating --prefix=bla -Dfoo=bla argument styles.
> People know how to use autotools, but meson is a fairly new thing.
>
> Cheers,
>
>   -ilia

I got a patch into (I think) 0.46 that allows the use -D for all options, all
the time. Now you can say `meson build -Dprefix=blah -Dfoo=blah` and it will
work. I think there's some work to refactor the way that argument processing is
handled so that that -- and -D are interchangeable.

Dylan