[Mesa-dev] Lets talk about autotools

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Tue Sep 18 20:50:07 UTC 2018

Quoting Gert Wollny (2018-09-18 12:16:01)
> Am Montag, den 17.09.2018, 17:07 -0400 schrieb Marek Ol\u0161ák:
> > I don't see radeonsi_dri.so. How/where is radeonsi_dri.so created?
> +1
>
> With autotools I can use an uninstalled but compiled version of meson
> (e.g. for testing) by pointing LD_LIBRARY_PATH and LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH
> to the $BUILDDIR/lib and $BUILDDIR/lib/gallium respectively.  With
> meson it seems one always needs to run "ninja install" to get the
> actual drivers and libraries somewhere.

ninja installs are very fast and cheap, unlike autotools. Most of us using meson
already just do `meson builddir --prefix=$PWD/builddir; ninja -C builddir
install`, then you can point LD_LIBRARY_PATH and LIBGL_DRIVERS_DIR at
$PWD/builddir/lib and $PWD/builddir/lib/dri.

> It would be nice if meson would act like autotools in that regard by
> creating the drivers and libraries in specific directories (also as a
> configure option if there is concern about compilation speed).

This is impossible by design. Meson is very specific that its internal directory
layout is an implementation detail. On top of that, there are two different
backends, a VS and ninja backend, which have slightly different layouts.

Dylan