[Mesa-dev] Lets talk about autotools

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Sep 18 20:57:18 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-09-18 at 13:50 -0700, Dylan Baker wrote:

> > It would be nice if meson would act like autotools in that regard by
> > creating the drivers and libraries in specific directories (also as a
> > configure option if there is concern about compilation speed).
>
> This is impossible by design. Meson is very specific that its internal directory
> layout is an implementation detail. On top of that, there are two different
> backends, a VS and ninja backend, which have slightly different layouts.

I'm not entirely sure that's true? mesa/build-lib/meson.build could
have all the final link targets, and their results would show up in
mesa/${builddir}/build-lib. It'd mean mirroring all the "do I build
this target or not" logic in that meson.build, and you'd descend into
that directory last from the top-level mesa/meson.build, but...

- ajax