[Mesa-dev] Mesa compatibility range

Jonathan Jackson jjackso2 at matrox.com
Wed Apr 10 15:37:01 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I am currently building an application using VTK 8.1 which requires OpenGL 2.1, or more recent,
Support. Because I want to be able to run my application on as many systems as possible, I am
Contemplating using a software renderer for cases where the system does not support OpenGL 2.1.
As Mesa is already offered on linux, this is mostly a Windows question.

1.       My question is: Is it reasonable to think that llvmpipe (or other drivers) will grand me a much wider
array of supported system if I use that implementation over the original Windows one?

It would mean that systems that have no support for OpenGL 2.1 would benefit from using Mesa over
Windows’ OpenGL and that Mesa is usable on much older/weaker systems.

2.       Another way to ask the question is: Is there a way of knowing which specs a system is required to have
so it can support Mesa’s implementation of all of OpenGL 2.1? (is it common that a system(high or low end)
will support all of Mesa’s equivalents of OpenGL 2.1 features).

Thank you for your support.
Jonathan Jackson