[Mesa-dev] Requiring a full author name when contributing to mesa?

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Wed Dec 11 23:09:31 UTC 2019

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 2:35 PM Timothy Arceri <tarceri at itsqueeze.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So it seems lately we have been increasingly merging patches with made
> up names, or single names etc [1]. The latest submitted patch has the
> name Icecream95. This seems wrong to me from a point of keeping up the
> integrity of the project. I'm not a legal expert but it doesn't seem
> ideal to be amassing commits with these type of author tags from that
> point of view either.
>
> Is it just me or do others agree we should at least require a proper
> name on the commits (as fake as that may be also)? Seems like a low bar
> to me.

I'm of the opinion that in fact all names are made up, and we don't
want to be getting into the business of requiring legal names for
committing.  If legal names were what you were getting at: have you
checked the legal names of your fellow contributors match what they're
contributing under?

I don't know what legal risk you might be thinking of, that seems like
spreading fear for no reason to me.