[Mesa-dev] Thoughts after hitting 100 merge requests?

Caio Marcelo de Oliveira Filho caio.oliveira at intel.com
Fri Jan 11 17:50:25 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:57:16AM -0600, Jason Ekstrand wrote:
> All,
>
> The mesa project has now hit 100 merge requests (36 are still open).  I
> (and I'm sure others) would be curious to hear people's initial thoughts on
> the process.  What's working well?  What's not working?  Is it total fail
> and should we go back to mailing lists?

Here are my findings after interacting with it for a few patches (both
in Mesa and other repositories)

+ It is way easier to keep track of patches that are still open/being-reviewed.
  + Labels on the MRs work well to filter out patches.

+ Because MRs git references are published in the repo, it is easy to
  "checkout" a MR.

- Reviewing patch series with lots of patches is very inconvenient:
  - Can't make comments on individual patches.  Which forces us to view
    all the changes together.  Which then makes UI hide some files that
    are too big (you need to manually expand).
    Upstream issue https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/53175.
  - Can't make comments on the commit message.
    Upstream issue https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/38602.

- Having to send the "Hey, here's a new MR" email to the mailing list
  for a small patch made me just go ahead and send the patch directly
  to the list instead.  Making those announcements automatic would be
  very helpful.

- To find the discussion associated with a commit in master, I'd
  search the title in the mailing list archives.  With MRs, the usual
  way that this connection is made would be the reference to the MR as
  part of the merge commit message, but in Mesa we don't currently use
  merge commits.  I've tried to search for commit titles in MR
  interface but it doesn't find them.

Thanks,
Caio