[Mesa-dev] Thoughts after hitting 100 merge requests?

apinheiro apinheiro at igalia.com
Thu Jan 17 10:32:17 UTC 2019

On 17/1/19 9:39, Kenneth Graunke wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 11:38:05 PM PST Erik Faye-Lund wrote:
>> On Fri, 2019-01-11 at 10:57 -0600, Jason Ekstrand wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> The mesa project has now hit 100 merge requests (36 are still open).
>>> I (and I'm sure others) would be curious to hear people's initial
>>> thoughts on the process.  What's working well?  What's not working?
>>> Is it total fail and should we go back to mailing lists?
>>>
>> So, overall I think it works pretty well. I have some things I think
>> maybe we could do better, some of which has already been pointed out:
>>
>> 1. New MRs should probably get their cover-letter automatically sent to
>> the mailing list for incrased visibility.
>>
>> 2. Perhaps we should ban sending MRs from the main mesa repo? With
>> gitlab, it's trivial to make your own fork, and you can delegate
>> permissions to other users for collaborators. I don't think there's any
>> reason to clutter up the main mesa repo with all kinds of branches. But
>> it seems some people send their MRs from the main-repo anyway. Perhaps
>> we should document that this isn't how to send MRs?
> I agree, I would much rather see MRs sent from personal forks.
> That's what I've been doing, and it works well.  If you see people
> doing that, feel free to say something - I assume they just don't
> realize they can do that.

As one of the people doing it wrongly (using a branch of the main repo,
instead of a personal fork): yes please, let's document that, as I was
unaware that was a problem.

What Im not sure if it is possible to update a existing MR in order to
use a different repo/branch. If that is not possible, should I close my
MR and reopen it with a fork?