[Mesa-dev] Error: unsupported relocations

James Harvey jamespharvey20 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 10:40:53 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 10:56 PM Jan Vesely <jan.vesely at rutgers.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, 2019-06-01 at 18:21 -0400, James Harvey wrote:

> > > Ping?  Mesa + ImageMagick convert is broken, affecting lots of people,
> > > but neither project is saying anything.
> >
> > Sorry all, please reply to this post rather than the last.  Copy-paste
> > failure of email addresses of people listed in mesa patch, fixed.
>
> sorry I missed the previous email. The issues has been discussed at
> [0].
> tldr; the referenced mesa commit prevents GPU hangs/crashes caused by
> changes in LLVM.
>
> longer story:
> AMDGPU llvm backend used to inline all function calls until llvm-6.
> llvm-6+ uses functions calls and issues relocations for each function
> invocation. unhandled relocations lead to GPU hangs/crashes.
> either clover/mesa needs to handle relocations, or LLVM needs to stop
> using relocations for internal symbols (they are not needed).
>
> I've neither time, nor energy, nor access to hw, to fix things up
> every time AMD changes break something in clover, and nobody else has
> stepped up.
> moreover, mesa made it clear that volunteer contributions and needs
> are inferior to corporate stakeholders (not even worth CI cycles).
> thus, clover on amd gpus is in damage mitigation mode; errors are
> better than crashes, crashes are better than hangs.
>
> Chances are that clover over NIR will work before the current issues
> are fixed.
>
> regards,
> Jan

No problem at all!  Truly, thanks for your time on the project.  I've
had enough run-ins with AMD's frequent breakage as just an end user.
Can't imagine how much worse it is for you and all mesa dev's.

So, for people running amdgpu and wanting to run ImageMagick convert
who get this error... Does this mean there is something ImageMagick
could change to prevent the error?  Or, in the meantime, is the only
option to install the amdgpu-pro opencl userspace driver with
ImageMagick?  (The pro opencl driver can be extracted from amdgpu-pro
as a whole, and ran on top of the free amdgpu driver., without the
rest of amdgpu-pro installed - see Arch Linux AUR package opencl-amd.)